Monday, November 27, 2006

Gospel Listenings

So I listened to both gospel listenings at once...the 2 hour block got a little long but I made it! I really enjoyed listening to this type of music, there were some really catchy tunes and I found that I knew some of the songs. In the first listening there were a lot of great songs. The song church was great. I really liked the up beat feel it had with all the clapping and how the song was sang as a story. I also really liked how the background music stopped when there was a climax in the singing. I also thought the song Judgement was catchy.. I was singing in my head hours later! I liked how it was acapela, it really added to the song, plus the unique raspy sound to there voice. I found that overall I enjoyed the upbeat song more just because they caught my attention and I didn't know what to expect and they tended to have a lot of different harmonies that were beautiful.
The second listening was also good.. however some of the songs wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to listen to all of them. I really liked how you had 3 different versions of Ain't no graves in this listening. The Bozie Stirdevant version was slower and never really picked up, The Brother Claude Ely Version was faster and had clapping and more singers, and the Kris Delmhorst version was better in the sense that it was newer and more clear and I also liked that it had a bit more of a rock feel to it. Another song that stood out to me was Joshua Fit de battle.. This was an acupeella song that had many great tempo changes. It also included great unisons and harmony changes. I also enjoyed the contrast in the music from when the men sang and when the women sang. I loved when the men sang, how great the background was.
I feel that most of the music that I listened to tied in with what we have been learning because in most of the songs the artist is expressing how they feel about certain things in their life and just like blues songs, alot of them were sang kind of like a story.

2 comments:

Nic McPhee said...

Some nice comments - thanks. Sorry that you also had trouble getting some of the second list to load. A number of people seemed to have that problem; I think that the computer in my office got unhappy about something while I was away, and it seems to have caused problems for several people. I think it's better now :-).

I'm glad you liked having the three versions of "Ain't no grave". When you say that the Kris Delmhorst version is "better", do you mean better, or just "more to my taste" or "more familiar"?

I'd like to hear more about this idea that these were similar to the blues songs because they "were sang kind of like a story". What do you mean here? What are some examples?

Thanks!

Megan said...

I thought it was better probably because it was more to my taste. I like up beat songs that have catchy tunes. I'm not used to how they use to sing them way back when haha.
I thought that they were sung like blues songs because in blues they sang kind of from the top of their heads.. whatever they were thinking at the time.. so mostly they were just telling a story of what they have went through.. And I heard a lot of the same story telling in the gospel music.